Easter Saturday - Lemon Biscuits



Day 1 of Week 5 (36 days), the 'boredom' of being locked in is kinda of annoying me now!  Today I baked.  Fancied making biscuits - shouldn't really as can't freeze them, so they will need eating.  This one was Mary Berry's Fork biscuits - but there are loads of similar recipes out there.

It was chosen as I only have a spare bag of SR flour - very little plain!

Ingredients
100g (4oz) butter - take out of fridge 1 hour before or pop in the microwave for 20 seconds
50g (2oz) sugar
150g (5oz) self-raising flour

Preheat the oven to 180°C /fan 160°C/ gas 4

Beat the butter and sugar together until nice and soft, add the flour - at this point I added grated zest of a lemon and an orange - I reckon cinnamon or ginger would work, or vanilla essence.

You will need to use your hands at this point it is quite a dry mix, I made 17 of them, you roll into little balls - they are quite small, so maybe make them bigger next time.  Flatten with a fork, they did not flatten at all in cooking like a lot of biscuit recipes, so mine were 'taller' than I expected, but were lovely!

Bake for just over 15 minutes until a very pale golden.

I mixed the juice of a lemon with some icing sugar to liven them up.

Flowers
The flowers were picked in the garden, forget me nots - never ever planted these, along with lovely primulas, that are coming up in the grass, the bright orange or the English marigold were from seeds many many years ago, and they self seed every year.

Lovely little square jar re-used & re-purposed to make a vase.


crafting and nattering

Comments