Little gadgets and notions - Mini Iron and ironing board


As I am a small project sewist, (prefer that to sewer!), I found that leaving my sewing room and going to the ironing board was a real time waster, and a general faff.  I didn't need a big ironing board.  So a couple of years ago I set myself up with a mini ironing board bought from Dunelm, entitled a "table top", IKEA also do one, and numerous ones around.  (I think I paid around £7).

The cover was a bit thinly padded, so I took it off an added a tea towel under it and it is just fine.

My first 'travel' iron was rubbish, and it eventually broke, so I bought Swan travel iron - now if you like a handle then don't get this.  But having looked at a few travel irons the handles were flimsy and that is what broke on the last.  This is like holding a large computer mouse - I like it, but have had mixed results with the steam, and the water leaking out.  I tend to use a spray water or spray starch anyway, so not so bothered.

I do also have a sleeve board, I think that was Dunelm too, and again bulked it up with a teatowel under the cover.  Both of them fold flat and I can hang them out of the way.  But that rarely happens now, as every time I sew I iron!


The final must have gadget was the silicon iron tidy, can't do with out this.

silicon mat

I did have to buy a table to put it on, and got one of those fold up TV tables from Argos, I note that someone has made the whole thing into an ironing table, am quite taken with the idea, and I think I will do this one day, and complement it with the sleeve board.

this is my table TV dinner table - there are loads out there, this one seems to be sturdy enough

make an ironing table

Another idea:
roll up ironing table

I use spray starch sometimes and like this:
Lakeland spray starch

I also have one of these, that I was given years ago for the kitchen and use it all the time to spray water for difficult creases, bit fancy!
mist sprayer

I think mine is a bit like this - I know I paid around £7 for it
sleeve board

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hello! I've been reading your web site for a long time now and finally got the bravery to
go ahead and give you a shout out from Houston Texas!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work!