Flitwick Moor


I have vowed to get out and about a bit more and see the countryside, and also get a bit fitter. So for the past few months each weekend I have been going on a walk with a friend, and we do try and go at a reasonable pace, and then I have been doing occasional walks - more of a stroll with the other half!

So I have been taking pictures and not really doing much with them, although I have made some cards which I will have to put on a post. So I thought I ought to put some of the walks on here....


Today it was a stroll around Flitwick Moor and also some information here

I have never been before so we drove to the car park, if you are not sure where to turn off the Maulden Road - it is literally the track by the farm buildings. On arrival the car park was empty, and we commented how quiet it was. We walked into the wood to be greeted by a 'marshall' and was told there would be about 140 runners just going past - apparently the Flitton fun run :). None of them were laughing and joking so not quite sure that it was fun......We let them go past - puffing and panting - and then continued with our walk!


The actual Moor is quite small and won't take long to follow the paths around, there is a longer walk entitled the Two Moors Heritage Trail, and I hope to do that another day.

We just followed the paths around the Moor which takes you out to the meadow, and then brings you back into the Moor once more. I really have not learnt much about the history around here and was fascinated to read that peat was extracted here up until 1967.


The land is iron rich and so the streams running through are coloured orange - just like the Worsley Canal in Manchester. The place is indeed very boggy, and the reeds are starting to grow and in the summer I am sure the place will be much more interesting, if you have not been it is well worth a visit.

Comments