Cheese and Leek Scones

I made these way back when and never posted them on here, so to make a change from sewing...I had one with some homemade chutney and some cheese and salad.




Here they are fresh from the oven - one already gone I am afraid!  Perfect with some soup too.

set oven at 230C/450F/gas 8

1 small leek - sliced thinly and chopped
small onion - finely chopped
225gm (8oz) self raising flour
salt (maybe some paprika)
55gm (2oz) butter
125ml (4.5fl oz) milk

saute leek and onion with a small amount of oil until soft

rub the butter into the flour and salt (and paprika), so that it is resembles fine breadcrumbs...I also added a handful of grated cheese!

add the milk until it forms a soft dough

put onto floured surface and flatten to around 2.5cms (1 inch thick), and then cut 2 inch rounds with a cutter.  I made 6 - so you can double the recipe and make more.

put on baking tray - brush tops with a beaten egg or milk, and bake for 12 minutes.

I did this one without an egg, was similar recipe to the spring onions, on reflection I think I prefer with an egg....so just make up the liquid quantity as you wish...next on the list is to try buttermilk!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Those look scrumpy!