Chocolate Orange Squares

...I will admit I have found some posts that I never made they have been sitting here as drafts - no idea why! So it seemed a shame not to share - so will post them over the next few days - they are all recipes:

I have done this recipe before - but I reduced it by 1 third and replaced some of the milk for fresh orange juice, although you can't heat the juice as it curdles the milk. I will try it with all juice next time and heat it up. I also grated some orange zest into the cake.

I baked it in a square tin I think just over 7 inches

Hot Milk Chocolate Sponge

Makes a 7 inch cake
3 eggs
8 oz Caster Sugar
4 oz Plain Flour
2 tbsps Cocoa
2 tspn baking powder
4 fl oz milk
1 oz Margarine

Chocolate Butter Icing:
3 oz butter softened
8 oz icing sugar
2 tbspn cocoa powder 3 tbspn boiling water, mix and cool

Whisk the eggs and sugar together really well until the mixture is thick and pale. Sift flour and cocoa and fold into egg mixture. Sprinkle the baking powder on top of the mixture. Heat the milk and marg together (I do mine in the microwave), make sure all the marg has melted and the milk is hot. Pour this on top of the mixture and allow to froth up, fold together. Pour into two 7 inch sandwich tins.
Cook at gas mark 4, 180c or 350f, for about 40 mins, cool on a wire rack.

Comments